German-American Double Degree at the New Jersey Institute of Technology (USA)
University of Passau: M. Sc. Business Administration
New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark: "M.S. Engineering Management"
The Master's program in Business Administration is accredited and carries the quality seal of the German Accreditation Council.
A minimum of 75 ECTS is required for admission and assignment to the partner university NJIT. Furthermore, you must pay the tuition fees and have a valid visa before starting your studies at NJIT. In addition, you must participate in a mandatory health plan at NJIT.
Up to five students per academic year and university.
Procedure/ Duration of the program
Duration: 4 semesters, 120 ECTS
1st to 3rd semester at the University of Passau, 4th semester at the New Jersey Institute of Technology
The double master program can be started in Passau in the winter and summer semester.
If the program begins in the winter semester, a semester off is provided between the third and fourth semester, for example, for internships, since studies at NJIT can only be started in the winter semester.
Not later than January 15 of each year.
Proof of at least 30 ECTS from the Master's program "Business Administration" at the University of Passau required.
Language of instruction
The University of Passau offers the opportunity to apply for the German-American double degree program in cooperation with the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) in Newark, USA, within the framework of the Master's program "Business Administration".
Within the integrated German-American degree program, the partner universities aim to increase cooperation and offer students the opportunity to take advantage of the different educational systems and research foci of both institutions. Upon successful completion of studies in the double degree program, you will earn a master's degree from both partner institutions.
Integrated in the program are:
- the Master's program "Business Administration" (University of Passau)
- the Master's program "Engineering Management" (New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark).
The Master's program in Business Administration is accredited and has been awarded the quality seal of the German Accreditation Council.
The double degree program is offered for excellent students that are already enrolled in the Master's program M.Sc. "Business Administration" at the University of Passau.
Students receive a German and an American Master's certificate as well as the corresponding Diploma Supplement of the individual universities:
- University of Passau: "M. Sc. Business Administration".
- NJIT: "M.S. Engineering Management
The start of the double master program is possible in the winter and summer semester.
Students spend the first to third semester in Passau, the 4th semester at the partner university NJIT. If the master program starts in the winter semester, a semester off is foreseen between the third and fourth semester, e.g. for internships, since the studies at NJIT can only be started in the winter semester.
Students gain 75 ECTS credits of the minimum of 120 ECTS leading to the Master's degree at the University of Passau and 25 ECTS (equivalent to 15 credits of the NJIT) at the partner university in Newark. The master's thesis, written in English and amounting to another 20 ECTS (or 6 credits of the NJIT), will follow at the end of the program under the supervision of both universities or the supervision occurs in Passau and two extracted projects of the same topic are submitted to NJIT.
By the application deadline, applicants for the double master's program must provide evidence of at least 30 ECTS credits in the master's program "Business Administration" at the University of Passau.
For admission and secondment to the partner university NJIT at least 75 ECTS are required. Furthermore, you must pay the tuition fees and have a valid visa before starting your studies at NJIT. In addition, you must participate in a mandatory healthcare program at NJIT.
Standard period of study: four semesters
Maximum duration of studies: six semesters
You prove the qualification for the double master by:
- enrollment in the M.Sc. "Business Administration" program at the University of Passau, as well as
- a minimum of 30 ECTS in the M.Sc. program "Business Administration" at the time of application for the double master program,
- a minimum of 75 ECTS prior to the start of studies at NJIT, and
- proof of certified English language skills at least on level B2 or UNIcert II CEFR.
Due to the reduced number of available student spaces (max. five per academic year), the selection of students for the double master's program follows on the basis of their academic performance and motivation. Should several applicants have the same qualifications, the decision will be made by random draw.
Application for the double master program can be made after successful completion of 30 ECTS in the master program "Business Administration" by no later than January 15 of each year. Please enclose the following documents with your application:
- a letter of motivation in English (1 DIN-A 4 page)
- a curriculum vitae in English
- a proof of proficiency in English (UNIcert II or B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference)
- Bachelor's degree certificate
- Current HISQIS extract
- Two copies of the matriculation certificate
Please send your application in written form (one single PDF) to the International Office via email:
After the formal review for the required credits, the selection of candidates for the double master's program is made by the program coordinator based on the above criteria.
Unless English is your first language or the language of instruction for your undergraduate studies or secondary school education, you will need to prove that you have adequate English skills (level UNIcert II or B2 of CEFR or higher) by means of a recognized language certificate.
Full-time students at NJIT must pay tuition of about US $11,000 per semester. These must be paid prior to commencing studies at NJIT.
In addition, there are costs for:
- Housing (if available on campus)
- Food and beverages
- Health insurance
- Use of recreational facilities and canteens
- Passport or visa
- Registration in university groups etc.
- Books and educational materials
- Other living or personal expenses.
- PROMOS: https://www.uni-passau.de/en/international/going-abroad/studying-at-a-non-european-university/funding-for-a-stay-abroad/promos-scholarship-programme/
- German National Academic Foundation: https://www.studienstiftung.de/infos-fuer-studierende/auslandsfoerderung/
- Fulbright Commission: https://www.fulbright.de/programs-for-germans/studierende-und-graduierte
The study and examination regulations of the master's program "Business Administration" apply to Passau students of the double master's program. Please pay particular attention to the deadlines and explanations regarding repeated examinations mentioned there.
You can find the study and examination regulations as well as the module catalog at www.uni-passau.de/studien_und_pruefungsordnungen/.
(There are no separate examination regulations for the double master).
Contact person at the University of Passau
Prof. Dr. Suleika Bort
Chair for International Management and Social Entrepreneurship
Faculty of Business Administration
Tel.: +49 851 509-5073
Information about the stay abroad
Akademisches Auslandsamt/ International Office
Innstraße 41 (Verwaltungsgebäude)
Tel.: +49 851 509-1160, -1162, -1163, -1165, -1167
Contact person at the New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark
Prof. Layek Abdel Malek
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Newark, NJ 07102
Tel.: +1 973 596-3648
Dr. Sotirios Ziavras
Vice Provost for Graduate Studies
Newark, NJ 07102
Tel.: +1 973 596-3579
- Application for the double master's degree by January 15 of each year.
- Selection and feedback by the program officers by the end of May at the latest.
- Orientation weeks of the International Office approx. mid-September to mid-October in the winter semester or mid-March to mid-April in the summer semester.
- Start of studies in the winter semester in Passau (beginning/middle of October); start of studies in the summer semester in Passau (beginning/middle of April), stay in Passau in the semesters one to three
- Payment of tuition fees before beginning studies at NJIT
- Study abroad at NJIT in Newark in the fourth semester
- Request for a transcript of records at the Student Affairs Office at NJIT and in Passau.