University of Passau: M. Sc. Business Administration
Southwestern University of Finance and
The Master's program in Business Administration is accredited and carries the quality seal of the German Accreditation Council.
A minimum of 60 ECTS is required for admission and assignment to the partner university SWUFE. Furthermore, you must have demonstrated proficiency in English (at least level B2) and have a valid visa before starting your studies at SWUFE.
Up to five students per academic year and university.
Procedure/ Duration of the program
Duration: 4 semesters, at least 120 ECTS
1st and 2nd semester at the University of Passau, 3rd and 4th semester at SWUFE.
The double master program can be started in Passau in the winter and summer semester.
If you started your Master's program in Passau in the summer semester, please contact the program coordination to plan your individual study schedule.
Not later than April 01 of each year.
Proof of at least 30 ECTS from the Master's program "Business Administration" at the University of Passau required.
Language of instruction
The University of Passau offers the opportunity to apply for the German-Chinese double degree program in cooperation with the Southwestern University of Finance and Economics in Chengdu, China, within the framework of the Master's program "Business Administration".
Within the integrated German-Chinese degree program, the partner universities aim to increase cooperation and offer students the opportunity to take advantage of the different educational systems and research foci of both institutions. Upon successful completion of studies in the double degree program, you will earn a master's degree from both partner institutions.
Integrated in the program are:
- the Master's program "Business Administration" (University of Passau)
- the Master's program "Enterprise Management" (Southwestern University of Finance and Economics, Chengdu).
The Master's program in Business Administration is accredited and has been awarded the quality seal of the German Accreditation Council.
Southwestern University of Finance and Economics (SWUFE) was founded in 1925 as a public university. It is a leading University in Chengdu, Sichuan province, China, listed as an HRK partner institution abroad. In 2015, SWUFE's Faculty of Business Administration (FBA) was accredited by the European Quality Improvement System.
SWUFE has 28 schools, colleges and institutes, offering a total of 35 undergraduate degrees. The university has approximately 22,700 students in 2020.
With more than 200 global partners, the university is very internationally oriented. Besides the University of Passau, seven other German universities have a cooperation with this university.
|Times Higher Education Ranking 2021||World Ranking: Rank 501-600 out of 1,526 participants|
|High Impact Universities: Research Performance Index||World Ranking: Rank 1.504 out of 2.500 participants|
|UniRanks "The Ranking of Rankings"||Country Ranking: Rank 103 out of 932 participants|
World Ranking: Rank 1.210 out of 11.993 participants
Region Ranking: Rank 186 out of 9.544 participants
Country Ranking: Rank 124 out of 2.595 participants
The double degree program is offered for excellent students that are already enrolled in the Master's program M.Sc. "Business Administration" at the University of Passau.
Students receive a German and an American Master's certificate as well as the corresponding Diploma Supplement of the individual universities:
- University of Passau: "M. Sc. Business Administration".
- SWUFE: "M.Sc. Enterprise Management
The start of the double master program is possible in the winter and summer semester.
Students spend the first and second semester in Passau, the third and fourth semester at the partner university SWUFE. If the master program starts in the summer semester, a semester off is foreseen between the second and third semester, e.g. for internships, since the studies at SWUFE can only be started in the winter semester. Please contact the program coordination to plan your individual study schedule.
Students gain 60 ECTS credits of the minimum of 120 ECTS leading to the Master's degree at the University of Passau and 60 ECTS (equivalent to 23 credits of the SWUFE) at the partner university in Chengdu. The master's thesis, written in English and amounting to 4 credits of the SWUFE, will follow at the end of the program in Chengdu according to the rules of both universities.
By the application deadline, applicants for the double master's program must provide evidence of at least 30 ECTS credits in the master's program "Business Administration" at the University of Passau.
For admission and secondment to the partner university SWUFE at least 60 ECTS are required. Furthermore, you must have demonstrated proficiency in English (at least level B2) and have a valid visa before starting your studies at SWUFE.
Standard period of study: four semesters
Maximum duration of studies: six semesters
You prove the qualification for the double master by:
- enrollment in the M.Sc. "Business Administration" program at the University of Passau, as well as
- a minimum of 30 ECTS in the M.Sc. program "Business Administration" at the time of application for the double master program,
- a minimum of 60 ECTS prior to the start of studies at SWUFE, and
- proof of certified English language skills at least on level B2 or UNIcert II CEFR.
Due to the reduced number of available student spaces (max. five per academic year), the selection of students for the double master's program follows on the basis of their academic performance and motivation. Should several applicants have the same qualifications, the decision will be made by random draw.
Application for the double master program can be made after successful completion of 30 ECTS in the master program "Business Administration" by no later than April 01 of each year. Please enclose the following documents with your application:
- signed online application form
- a letter of motivation in English (1 DIN-A 4 page)
- a curriculum vitae in English
- a proof of proficiency in English (UNIcert II or B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference)
- Bachelor's degree certificate
- Current HISQIS extract
- Two copies of the matriculation certificate
Please send your application in written form to the
- Akademische Auslandsamt / International Office
- Innstraße 41 (Verwaltungsgebäude)
- 94032 Passau
After the formal review for the required credits, the selection of candidates for the double master's program is made by the program coordinator based on the above criteria.
You must then register independently at the partner university by May 31.
Unless English is your first language or the language of instruction for your undergraduate studies or secondary school education, you will need to prove that you have adequate English skills (level UNIcert II or B2 of CEFR or higher) by means of a recognized language certificate.
Students from Passau should have some basic knowledge in Chinese language before they come to SWUFE.
Tuition is waived at SWUFE for students in the dual master's program.
Nevertheless, there are costs for:
- Housing (if available on campus)
- Food and beverages
- Health insurance
- Use of recreational facilities and canteens
- Passport or visa
- Registration in university groups etc.
- Books and educational materials
- Other living or personal expenses.
Note: All hospital and other medical expenses are the responsibility of participating students. Each student participating in this programme must purchase an insurance to cover his/her whole stay period in the host country before leaving his/her home country. Moreover, if it is necessary, each student shall purchase the insurance provided at host country as required by the host university.
- PROMOS-Stipendium: www.uni-passau.de/internationales/ins-ausland-gehen/partnerhochschulen-weltweit/finanzierung-auslandsaufenthalt/promos-stipendienprogramm/
- Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes: www.studienstiftung.de/infos-fuer-studierende/auslandsfoerderung/
- Förderprogramm des Bayerischen Hochschulzentrums für China: https://www.baychina.net/foerderung-stipendien/
The study and examination regulations of the master's program "Business Administration" apply to Passau students of the double master's program. Please pay particular attention to the deadlines and explanations regarding repeated examinations mentioned there.
You can find the study and examination regulations as well as the module catalog at www.uni-passau.de/studien_und_pruefungsordnungen/.
(There are no separate examination regulations for the double master).
Akademisches Auslandsamt/ International Office
Innstraße 41 (Verwaltungsgebäude)
Tel.: +49 851 509-1162
Professor Mingfeng Tang
Director of International Affairs Office and Sino-French Innovation Research Center
Faculty of Business Administration
Address: Tongbo Building, 555 Liutai Ave., Wenjiang, Chengdu, 611130, Sichuan, R.P.China
Structure of the program for Students from the University of Passau:
Station 1 (1-2 Semester):
University of Passau
Station 2 (3-4 Semester):
1-2 Semester, 60 ECTS
3-4 Semester, 60 ECTS (=23 SWUFE Credits)
17 SWUFE credits (round about 44 ECTS) + 2 optional courses
Electives / compulsory courses and seminar:
Literature Review and thesis proposal (2 credits) & Master Thesis (4 credits):
6 SWUFE credits (round about 15 ECTS)
Total: 120 ECTS
Double Degree in M. Sc. Business Administration & Master in Enterprise Management
Master thesis requirements
The master thesis at SWUFE consists of two parts which is equivalent to 20 ECTS (required in Passau):
- (1) Literature Review and Thesis Proposal
- (2) Thesis and Oral Defence
Specific regulations for this double degree program
From the following list you choose two additional courses. You can take these either in Passau or - in addition in addition to the mandatory program - in Chengdu:
Advanced Methods in Marketing
Marketing Channel Relationship
B2B Marketing and Sales Management
Intercultural Business Communication and Management
Wirtschaftskommunikation und Interkulturelles Management
You are NOT allowed to take the following courses in Passau, as they are part of the mandatory program in Chengdu:
- 33160 - Organizational Behaviour – Corporate management and behaviour in organizations
- 32820 - Organizational and Competitive Strategy
- 38567 - Corporate Strategy and Innovation
- 38561 - Managing and Leading Strategic Innovation and Change
- 38568 - Strategy and Innovation Consulting
The following courses are required in Chengdu (no electives):
General Introduction of China
Corporate Strategic Management
Academic Research and Writing
Literature Review and Thesis Proposal
Thesis and Oral Defence
Note: At SWUFE the students from Passau (and the other international students as well) have courses designed for international students. Thus, students from Passau are not in the “regular” Chinese SWUFE courses.
- Application for the double master's degree by April 01 of each year.
- Selection and feedback by the program officers by the end of April at the latest.
- Registration at SWUFE by May 31.
- Study abroad at SWUFE in Chengdu from September to July of the following year.
- Request for a transcript of records at the Student Secretariat at SWUFE and at the Examination Office at the University of Passau.