Chair of Development Economics
Current and past positions
- Professor of Development Economics, University of Passau, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Germany, since 2012.
- Professor of Applied Development Economics, Erasmus University Rotterdam, International Institute of Social Studies, The Hague, The Netherlands, 2007-2012.
- Guest-Professor, Paris School of Economics (MA in Public Policy and Development), France, 2009-2012.
- Guest-Professor, University of Bordeaux, Department of Economics (MA Economie Appliquée), France, 2011, 2013, 2014.
- J.-Professor of Development Economics, University of Göttingen, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Germany, 2003-2007.
- Consultant, World Bank, Washington D.C., USA, Macroeconomics and Poverty Assessment Skills Program, 2003.
- PhD student/Research fellow (allocataire de recherche) at SciencesPo Paris and at the Development Economics Research Institute DIAL with a fellowship of the French Ministry of Education, Research and Technology, 1999-2002.
- Research Fellow, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (RWI), Essen, Germany, since 2016.
- Senior Fellow, Center for Development Research, University of Bonn, Germany, since 2015
- Affiliated Professor of Development Economics, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands, since 2012
- Research Fellow, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA), Bonn, Germany, since 2012.
- Research Associate, Ibero-America-Institute of Economic Research, University of Göttingen, Germany, since 2007.
- Research Professor, German Institute for Economic Research (DIW), Berlin, since 2004.
- Research Associate, Development Economics Research Institute DIAL, Paris, since 2002.
- Staff Member, ‘Centre for Statistics’ (ZfS), Faculty of Mathematics, University of Göttingen, Germany, 2003-2007.
- Ph.D. in Economics, SciencesPo Paris, 1999-2002.
Dissertation title: Demo-economic behaviour, income distribution and development.
Board of examiners: Didier Blanchet, François Bourguignon, Denis Cogneau, Philippe de Vreyer, Marc Gurgand and Stephan Klasen.
- Visiting scholar at the Institut National d’Etudes Démographiques (INED), Paris, 1999 (5 months).
- Master's Degree (D.E.A.) in Population and Development Economics, SciencesPo Paris, 1998-1999.
- Master's Degree in Economics (Diplom-Volkswirt), University Frankfurt/Main. Fields of specialization: business cycles, economic growth, income distribution, public finance, statistics and econometrics, 1992-1997.
- High School Graduation (Abitur), Claus-von-Stauffenberg-Gymnasium, Rodgau, Germany, Majors: Mathematics, Physics, German, Political Science, 1991.
Awards and fellowships
- Best Practice Award. Poverty Reduction, Equity and Growth Network (PEGNet), 2015.
- Excellent reviewer award, Labor Economics, 2015.
- USAEE/IAEE 2014 Best Paper Award “A First Step up the Energy Ladder: Low Cost Solar Kits and Household’s Welfare in Rural Rwanda” (co-authored with Anicet Munyehirwe, Jörg Peters and Maximiliane Sievert).
- Nominated for a ‘Meritorious, Outstanding Optimistic, Driver for Learning Excellence’ in the category of ‘Best Decoder’, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 2009.
- Publication award of the University of Göttingen foundation, 2006.
- Doctoral fellowship, French Ministry of Education, Research and Technology (Allocataire de Recherche), 1999-2002.
- Graduate scholarship for a Master program, French Government and German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), 1998-1999.
Membership in networks and associations
- Member of the Program Board of the Rotterdam Global Health Initiative (RGHI)
- Member of the Board of the Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE)
- Member of the ‘Growth and Equity’ knowledge platform at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Netherlands (2007-2012)
- Member of the ‘Reference Group’ of experts to advise the Growth and Equity Programme at the Overseas Development Institute, London
- Member of the European Development Research Network (EUDN)
- Member of the American Economic Association (AEA)
- Member of the Royal Economic Society (RES)
- Member of the Society for the Study of Economic Inequality (ECINEQ)
- Member of the German Economic Association (VfS)
- Member of the Research committee for ‘Population Economics’ of the German Economic Association (VfS)
- Member of the Research committee for ‘Development Economics’ of the German Economic Association (VfS)
- Member of the editorial board of the Review of Income and Wealth (2009-2014)
- Member of the Poverty and Economic Policy Network (PEP), Université Laval, Québec
- Founding member and Advisory Board Member of the Poverty Reduction, Equity and Growth Network (PEGNet), Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
Recent seminar and conference talks
- University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
- Development Economics conference, Bordeaux
- CSAE conference, Oxford
- University of RegensburgVienna Institute of Demography
- European Development Network Conference, Paris
- Christian-Albrechts-University, Kiel
- Leibniz University, Hannover
- Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Erasmus School of Economics, Erasmus University Rotterdam
- Aix-Marseille School of Economics
- OECD Paris, Development Centre
- Development economics conference, University of Bordeaux, Key-note Speaker
- University of Maastricht
- University of Oxford
- University of Bordeaux
- IZA-World Bank conference on Employment and Development, Delhi and Bonn
- DIW Berlin
- University of Göttingen
- World Bank's Solutions4Work Conference
- WIDER/UNU Conference on Inequality, Helsinki
- International Labour Organisation (ILO), Genf
- Wageningen University
- Groningen University
- INSEAD-ILO Symposium on Jobs, Abu Dhabi
- 19 Oct 2011, National TV Mali, Secteur Informel au Mali – défis et opportunités
- 11 Sep 2014, The Broker, 'Small firms can create jobs!'.
- 5 March 2015, Passauer Neue Presse, 'Auf Gesundheitsmission in Westafrika'
- 10 March 2015, ARTE TV, 'Der Glanz der Schattenwirtschaft' / 'Les fabuleux bénéfices du Système D'
- 11 March 2015, Offenbach Post, 'Aus Jügesheim nach Afrika'
- 20 March 2015, Süddeutsche Zeitung, 'Gesundheit!'
- 31 May 2015, Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung, 'Das afrikanische Wunder'
- 6 June 2015, Radio Bayern 2, Das ist der Gipfel! G7-Countdown in Elmau
- 6 July 2015, Bayerisches Fernsehen (ARD), 'Faszination Wissen'
- 9 July 2015, 3Sat TV, 'Nano'
- 10 July 2015, ARD Alpha, 'Der Glanz der Schattenwirtschaft (extended version)'
- 27 July 2015, Radio Bayern 2, 'radioWelt'
- 30 July 2015, Wirtschaftwoche, Bevölkerungsexplosion: Kann die Erde so viele Menschen ernähren?
- 1 September 2015, corporAID Magazin, 'Die goldene Mitte'
- 21 February 2016, D +C Development and Cooperation (Magazine), ‘Debate on Industrial Policy’
- 3 May 2016, ARD alpha, 'Planet Wissen - Bazaaristan'